July 18, 2008

It's been a while...

...since I updated our escapades. At first, I had nothing to write about. We were bums and were doing anything exciting. In the last week, several things of interest have occurred. So, let me just do a quick run through!

Last weekend, Joe and I went home to Houston to visit family and pick up the pooch (who by the way, was beside herself when I got there). Mom and I took a day trip with the Plumeria Society to visit Shangri La Botanical Gardens in Orange, TX. It was a gorgeous place, that could have been enjoyed a little more if it hadn't been so miserably hot. After a 5:30 wake-up call, and a 2 hour bus ride, our day started with some life jackets.

Life jackets at Shangri La

The first part of our official tour was on a pontoon boat. We rode down Adam's Bayou to see the great mounds of Cyprus trees growing along the water's edge. The "survivor," a Pond Cyprus that is 1,233 years old, was a highlight. It is older than the state of Texas and has survived diseases, axes and the most recent Hurricane Rita.

The Survivor

Other highlights included baby pineapple plants, green (earth-friendly) building materials, blue bottle trees, nifty green houses and giant spiders.

spider green house
bottle trees baby pineapples

On Monday, Joe and I tested out his new bike (with the help of my old one) on the trail around Lady Bird Lake. I think we rode about 4 miles - or about 45 minutes - and got some good exercise in. Joe just likes to feel the wind in his hair.

Tuesday was another interesting, and exciting, day as I finally got a job offer. I am now the Community Relations Assistant at the Capital Area Food Bank. I start on July 30 and can't wait. I will be supporting development and volunteer services. I'm sure there will be more updates on this soon.

Wednesday was a long one. I went to AWC's July Luncheon where I learned about what the San Antonio Spurs marketing team is doing with Web 2.0/social media. Cool cool. Then I went to a long, sweaty, tiring rehearsal.

Last night, we went to see the Beauty and the Beast musical at Zilker Park. Joe and I snuck a pic with a dancing napkin during intermission!

napkin

2 comments:

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

oooooops, deleted the first comment. I loved the dancing napkin picture, great to see you blogging again. Great pictures (except that first one!) :0)