May 13, 2008

my Chi-town (pronounced shytown) extravaganza

Last week I spent Wednesday through Saturday in Chicago. I went for my internship as part of a global communications conference for the company. I stayed at the Omni downtown, right off of the Magnificent Mile (MM) and listened to various presentations in the ballroom surrounded by fellow public affairs people.

Since it was "global," I met PA people from all over the world, including Denmark, France, China, Spain, Brazil and Switzerland. There are lots of things to tell about but I'll just list some of the cool parts.

1. I visited the Field Museum.



2. The MM was lined up and down with tulip mini-gardens. Most of them had an interesting sculpture or water feature and were filled with every color of the rainbow. I definately had to snap some shots.

tulips

tulips

tulips

tulips



3. I tried some great food, including Chicago-style deep dish pizza from Gino's East and fabulous popcorn from Garrett's (twice!)

4. Talked to some pretty high up people in PA about where they started after college and how they got to where they are today - inspiring for me while I look for my next career step.

5. Chatted about social media a lot.

6. Slept in a magnificent king size bed.

7. Learned what it's like to have cocktails with work people - and how my international colleagues play drinking games with towels.

8. Spent some quality time with my favorite cousin named Jen!

At the end of the conference and after a little shopping with the boss, Jen picked me up so that we could spend some time together. I don't think I had seen her since she moved to Chicago eight months ago. We had some delish sushi at a pretty snazzy place and then watched P.S. I Love You - a sweet, tear jerker, if I can put those two descriptions together. One of the great moments of the trip was going up in Hancock Tower the next day and looking out over the city and Lake Michigan. Pretty amazing! I took a lunch break while working on the beams and then washed some windows :)

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago


Besides almost missing my plane home, the trip was fabulous! With all of these great pictures, I neglected to get any of Jen and I together - and none of sweet kitty cat Chloe.

Chicago

No comments: